Code Compliance


Kenmore’s primary goal is the health, safety and welfare of its citizens. Kenmore also strives to be responsive to public complaints related to potential violations. The Code Compliance Officer (CCO) is responsible for enforcement of violations of the Kenmore Municipal Code, including but not limited to: construction code, fire code, surface water, nuisance, and junk vehicles and sign code. The CCO is not responsible for enforcement of any criminal violations.

File a Complaint

If the matter is of an immediate threat to life, health or safety, or if you witness a

crime or are a victim of a crime, please dial 9-1-1.

How Do I File A Complaint?

It is the city's policy that the Code Compliance Officer, as part of the Development Services Department, conducts investigations on formal complaints. He or she receives formal complaint requests through our Citizen Action Request system. To file a complaint with the Code Compliance Officer, please fill out a citizen action request form here or with the "File a Complaint" link above.


How Are Complaints Investigated?
Upon receipt of an official complaint, an investigation will be initiated. Through property research, code research, and a site inspection, the Code Compliance Officer (CCO) will determine if a violation of the Kenmore Municipal Code (KMC) exists.  If there is a violation of the KMC, the CCO will work with the responsible party to gain voluntary compliance with applicable regulations. This is accomplished through a compliance agreement, which requires the corrections to be made within specified time periods.

Failure to achieve voluntary compliance may result in formal civil and/or criminal enforcement proceedings.


Common Code Violations

  • Building without a permit: A building permit is required for new structures, additions, alterations, and changes in use to an existing structure, except one-story detached structures less than 200 square feet accessory to a residence and used as a storage shed or similar structure.
  • Cutting trees without obtaining a permit: Please call 425-398-8900 to inquire if a permit is required.  For example, removal of trees in sensitive areas requires a permit. For help determining if you are located within a critical area go to or contact the City. If a tree is an imminent and dangerous threat, the tree should be removed immediately. A tree removal application #303 is necessary to apply for a tree removal permit.
  • Clearing within sensitive areas: Clearing is prohibited within sensitive and adjacent to sensitive areas, streams, wetlands, lakes, steep slopes, and any required buffer setback from sensitive areas without first obtaining a permit.
  • Junk vehicles: A junk vehicle is a vehicle that meets three (3) of the following:

(a) Is three years or older;

(b) Is extensively damaged, such damage including but not limited to: a broken window or windshield, or missing wheels, tires, motor, or transmission;

(c) Is apparently inoperable;

(d) Is without a valid, current registration plate;

(e) Has an approximate fair market value equal only to the value of scrap.

  • Sign code violations: A permit must be obtained before the installation of a sign on private property or in the road right-of-way.
  • Nuisance code violations: Outdoor storage of junk, trash, debris, rubbish, and discarded household items. Dumping, spillage or storage of solids or liquids, which may negatively impact the olfactory nature of the area.  Outdoor storage of used tires in a manner that allows any accumulation of water or creates a fire or health hazard.



Last updated: Tue, 09/20/2016 - 4:30pm