Important Updates: Find out more about city services impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic here.

Staff Contact

Janet Quinn or Jarrett Smith
Public Works Engineering
Utility Permit Email


Franchise Utility Right-of-Way Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

All work performed in the public right-of-way (ROW) or impacting the ROW requires a permit. Applicants requesting permits to occupy City property with utilities, or holders of granted franchise rights who are planning construction work upon, along, over, under or across any public place NOT within the public right-of-way must file an additional separate application with the City of Kenmore Development Services Department.

Franchise Utilities may apply by submitting an application by email to Submitting 11"x17" size plans is acceptable. If a larger size is needed, a request will be made on a case-by-case basis. Permits are typically issued within  2 weeks/10 business days of receiving the application and all supporting information. Include:

  • Completed application
  • Site plan 
  • Traffic Control Plan (TCP)
  • Restoration Plan
  • Additional information needed for review

Franchise Utility Right of Way Permit fees are invoiced quarterly for permits with application dates prior to 2020. Permits applied for after January 1, 2020 will be billed at permit closeout.

Fees as of January 1, 2020 are as follows:

  • Application Fee - Standard Permit: $215.00
  • Review Fee - Hourly: $112.00
  • Inspection Fee - Hourly: $112.00
  • Violation of Lane Closure Hours: $518.00 per occurrence
  • Accelerated Job Start: $500.00

Applications may be emailed (preferred method) to:

Applications may also be mailed to:

City of Kenmore
Attn: Janet Quinn
18120 68th Ave NE
Kenmore, WA 98028

Or submitted at:

City Hall
18120 68th Ave NE
Kenmore, WA 98028

When an emergency or immediate permit is required, please contact Janet Quinn or Jarrett Smith at (425) 398-8900. (Due to COVID-19, until all City employees return to work in the office full time, email to remains the best way to contact us.)

Utility permits for work within the SR 522 right of way will be administered by the City with a review required from Washington State Department of Transportation.